CUSHIONS, CURTAINS AND BLINDS MAKING CLASSES
IN LEIGH ON SEA, ESSEX
Would you like to make soft furnishings for yourself, friends or family? Come along and learn sewing skills and master the techniques required for making professional looking soft furnishing.
BEGINNERS PROJECT: CUSHION MAKING & MACHINE SKILLS
Learn to sew custom handmade cushions such as an envelope, buttoned or zip closure cushion to match your home décor and take home a beautiful cushion you have made yourself!
You will learn sewing and making skills:
- Measuring and calculating fabrics
- Pattern layout and cutting out accurately to minimise fabric waste and to pattern match
- Threading the sewing machine and winding on a bobbin
- Getting the correct machine stitch length and tension
- Changing sewing machine feet for different types of sewing
- Sewing in a straight line, wavy lines and turn corners
- Inserting a zip
- Making and attaching piping
- Discussing the different types of cushion fillings
INTERMEDIATE SOFT FURNISHING PROJECTS
PROJECT 1: LINED CURTAIN
You will learn how to cut fabric & lining, how to hem lining, join fabric & lining together, hemming and adding heading tape and finishing corners.
PROJECTS 2: ROMAN BLIND – INTERMEDIATE
By using a roman blind kit you will be able to make the perfect blind to suit your window. You will learn to cut fabric & lining, estimate fabric and calculations for rod spacing, attach lining, velcro, tapes and cords. You will gain understanding and knowledge of how to make your blind child compliant. •.
Note* We will try to accommodate your window sizes so you can take away and install, but extra charges my apply depending on sizes.
WHO ARE THESE COURSES FOR?
Sewing machine experience required for all intermediate projects. If you have never used a sewing machine, please book onto the Cushion Making and Machine Skills course.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE SOFT FURNISHING CLASS:
- Your own upholstery fabric to match your home style and Décor. If you are unsure about the quantity or type of fabric please contact us so we can help you – email@example.com
- Notepad and pen
- Camera or mobile phone to record stages of your work
- Sewing machines are provided or you can bring your own if you prefer
- Sewing equipment you may have, however, equipment is available for you to use.